Category A credit*
*CAMRT Credits are recognized by the ARRT, The ASRT, and all Provincial Associations under the CAMRT umbrella.
Your Legal Obligations
Across Canada, many employers and employees responsible for workplace safety are not fully aware of regulations governing the use of X-ray equipment in the workplace. Yet, every province and territory has such regulations. These regulations have the force of law. For example, in most provinces, regulations require that an employer designate and provide the name of a qualified person to oversee the safe use of X-ray equipment. Federal regulations also apply. When you complete the requirements of the three-day X-ray Safety Officer (XSO) course and receive your XSO Certificate, you will be more knowledgeable about your employer’s legal obligations and more confident about your ability to meet them.
How you learn
When you complete the course requirements and pass the final exam, you will receive the Radiation Safety Institute of Canada’s Radiation Safety Officer (RSO-1) Certificate. You will also be eligible to write the Canadian Radiation Protection Association’s professional registration exam.
- Structure of matter
- Understanding radiation
- X-rays: radiation made by machine
- Radiation quantities and units
- Biological and health effects of exposure to X-rays
- X-ray systems, X-ray imaging and safety survey
- Scattering and attenuation of X-rays
- Radiation detection, instrumentation and dosimetry
- Radiation protection principles and practices
- Hands-on exercises in the practical application of radiation protection principles
- What the law requires: Key federal, provincial and territorial regulations on x-ray safety
Accommodation The Eaton Chelsea Hotel, 33 Gerrard Street W, is pleased to offer the rate of $155+tax per night to our course participants. Once your course registration has been confirmed a link to the Eaton Chelsea will be sent to you. Please note, proof of your registration will be required upon hotel check-in.
The hotel is located 2 km from the Institute and a daily complimentary shuttle service will be provided to and from the hotel, departing at 8:30am and returning by 5:00pm.
Vancouver: Sutton Place Hotel 845 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 2K
Accommodation For recommended hotels please contact Maria Cost (416) 650 9090 ext. 21
XSO not for you?
If you find that XSO course is not what you need, please take a moment to look at other radiation safety courses we offer
Staff Scientist and Manager of Training
Tel: (416) 650 9090 ext. 23 | Fax (416) 650 9920 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellations | The following administrative fees will apply to course registration refunds:
- 20% of course fee if cancelled 14 days prior to the scheduled date
- 50% of course fee if cancelled less than 14 days prior to the scheduled date
- No refunds will be issued if cancelled on the day of the course
- October 15-17, 2018
October 15, 2018 - October 17, 2018
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- October 23-25, 2018
October 23, 2018 - October 25, 2018
9:00 am - 5:00 pm