Category A credit*
*CAMRT Credits are recognized by the ARRT, The ASRT, and all Provincial Associations under the CAMRT umbrella.
About the Course
if you are responsible under provincial and federal regulations for the safety of employees exposed to X-rays in the workplace, the Radiation Safety Institute of Canada offers a three-day X-ray Safety Officer (XSO) course.
Your Legal Obligations
Across Canada, many employers and employees responsible for workplace safety are not fully aware of regulations governing the use of X-ray equipment in the workplace. Yet, every province and territory has such regulations. These regulations have the force of law. For example, in most provinces, regulations require that an employer designate and provide the name of a qualified person to oversee the safe use of X-ray equipment. Federal regulations also apply. When you complete the requirements of the three-day X-ray Safety Officer (XSO) course and receive your XSO Certificate, you will be more knowledgeable about your employer’s legal obligations and more confident about your ability to meet them.
How you learn
Online: The sessions held online are designed to recreate the in-class experience as much as possible. The course is delivered live through an online meeting platform, led by our experienced instructors. Participants are encouraged to ask questions and instructors are available to offer assistance. Breaks are offered throughout the day, including one hour for lunch. Please note that the timing of the course is set for the time-zone of the course location. For example, if the course location is specified as Toronto, the course will begin at 9:00 am Eastern time and the lunch break will be around noon Eastern time. All course materials will be provided electronically and certificates will be emailed to participants within a week after the end of the course.
Classroom: not applicable at this time
- Structure of matter
- Understanding radiation
- X-rays: radiation made by machine
- Radiation quantities and units
- Biological and health effects of exposure to X-rays
- X-ray systems, X-ray imaging and safety survey
- Scattering and attenuation of X-rays
- Radiation detection, instrumentation and dosimetry
- Radiation protection principles and practices
- Hands-on exercises in the practical application of radiation protection principles
- What the law requires: Key federal, provincial and territorial regulations on x-ray safety
XSO not for you?
If you find that XSO course is not what you need, please take a moment to look at other radiation safety courses we offer
Manager of Training
Tel: (416) 650 9090 ext. 325 | Fax (416) 650 9920 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellations | The following administrative fees will apply to course registration refunds:
- 20% of course fee if cancelled 14 days prior to the scheduled date
- 50% of course fee if cancelled less than 14 days prior to the scheduled date
- No refunds will be issued if cancelled on the day of the course
- Oct 17-19, 2023 *Online* 9am EDT Start Time
October 17, 2023 - October 19, 2023
9:00 am - 5:00 pm