This radiation safety training course will provide employees with the fundamental knowledge required to work safely in the vicinity of open and sealed radiation sources. This course was developed to meet the training requirements of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC).
There are several convenient ways to take advantage of this unique course.
You can arrange for one of our instructors to come to your workplace and teach the course on site; or you can arrange for a private course to be delivered to your employees at our National Education Center in Toronto. Contact us for more details.
Alternatively, you can register online for one of our publicly scheduled “All About Radiation Safety” courses by clicking on the Register Now button below.
How You Learn
Online: The sessions held online are designed to recreate the in-class experience as much as possible. The course is delivered live through an online meeting platform, led by our experienced instructors. Participants are encouraged to ask questions and instructors are available to offer assistance. Breaks are offered throughout the day, including one hour for lunch. Please note that the timing of the course is set for the time-zone of the course location. For example, if the course location is specified as Toronto, the course will begin at 9:00 am Eastern time and the lunch break will be around noon Eastern time. All course materials will be provided electronically and certificates will be emailed to participants within a week after the end of the course.
Classroom: You learn over one day in a friendly, hands-on classroom setting. The day is divided into nine sessions. You will receive a course manual containing the presentation slides, the textbook, and selected CNSC regulations. Your learning is enhanced by a video presentation.
To help you progress, you will be required to complete a hands-on experiment with a final test at the end of the day. When you complete the course requirements and pass the final test, you will receive the Radiation Safety Institute of Canada’s All About Radiation Safety Certificate.
- Understanding of atomic properties
- Comprehension of radiation types and properties
- How to measure and calculate radiation doses
- Knowledge of how radiation exposure affects human health and genetics
- Understanding of external and internal radiation exposure control
- Awareness of contamination risks, control and procedures related to radioactive sources
- Knowledge of operating and emergency procedures related to radioactive substances and devices
- Familiarity with select Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission regulations
- Structure of matter
- Radiation and radioactivity
- Radiation quantities and units
- Biological and health effects of exposure to radiation
- Controlling radiation exposure
- Operating and emergency procedures
- Nuclear gauges
- Excerpts from Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission regulations
- Radiation Protection Regulations
- Nuclear Substances and Radiation Devices Regulations
AARS not for you?
If you find that AARS course is not what you need, please take a moment to look at other radiation safety courses we offer.
Staff Scientist and Manager of Training
Tel: (416) 650 9090 ext. 23 | Fax (416) 650 9920 | Email: email@example.com
Cancellations | The following administrative fees will apply to course registration refunds:
- 20% of course fee if cancelled 14 days prior to the scheduled date
- 50% of course fee if cancelled less than 14 days prior to the scheduled date
- No refunds will be issued if cancelled on the day of the course
- Toronto October 8, 2020 *Online*
October 8, 2020
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Toronto December 3, 2020 *Online*
December 3, 2020
9:00 am - 5:00 pm